Thursday, September 5, 2013

Mowing the Lawn Analogy in a Game About Growing Grass

finally have the new model in and working
We also finished the new model and we already
 have him working for us!
Things are going well, I think. I kind of bounce between optimism and despair pretty easily, but lately it seems to be mostly blue skies. We've got our jobs laid out neatly before us and we've created a kind of interim goal to work for that I think is good for morale. Well, good for mine anyway.

Like keeping the lines straight while mowing the lawn, it helps to look at where you're going rather than where you are. #lifeadvice

So the goal: A trailer. It makes me feel awfully vulnerable, publicly declaring my expectations. But here they are: It'll be about a minute. A quiet, moody kind of a thing that hits all the right buttons. It's gotta be beautiful. Painfully so. It's gotta show our open fields and claustrophobic caves.

So the first step was getting the right music. Had a long conversation with +AJ ForteSounds about how best to achieve this. We ran through ideas. Conversation shifted from Limbo to Fez to the act of sweeping. It got kind of weird. But ultimately, it was a success. Oh man, was it a success. I basically melted when I heard what he put together for me. I want you all to hear it, but it had better wait til the trailer. Sorry.

We're still quite a ways away from finishing the trailer. Or even beginning it. Sorry.

We've got caves to make, and platforms too. Enemies and rain. Lakes and rivers. Clouds. A fairy.

It sounds like a lot, and I guess it is a lot, but things are moving at a brilliantly satisfying pace. You'll see soon. And you know what? I can't wait to show you.

For now, you'll have to settle for a gif. This one shows our new grass system.

New grass system paints texture before animating

No comments:

Post a Comment